Friday, September 11, 2015

Keel port side second layer

Had to do a wee bit more sanding in the box keel this morning. That took an hour or so then started to lay up the 12 oz fabric for the keel.
12 oz fabric for keel
I had a roll end in the shed so I dragged that out. It had about 11' left on it. I think I'm getting low on 12 oz and don't know if I'll have enough to finish the bottom and sides.
Box keel port side looking forward
This 12 oz stuff I have isn't quite like the last batch. It falls apart without me even touching the stuff. The first batch that I used on the bottom on the outside of the hull was nice to work with.
F*ck!
This is what happens when you catch one tiny binding thread on your knee pads! All hell breaks loose and shit starts unraveling like crazy. The best thing to do in this case is snip off a many threads as you can then glue it down. Sand it away when it's cured up.
About 40 minutes in and half a gallon of epoxy
The 12 oz fabric doesn't have much 'dimensional stability' and will warp out of shape if you're not careful. I got it bunched up a couple of times but only had to cut one dart in it to get it back on track.
Box keel looking aft
About an hour and 30 minutes to do the whole port side & bottom of the keel. Just a wee bit over a gallon of epoxy. There's a section at the very back of the keel that I'll do tomorrow. It's way too much of a PITA to do when you're wallowing in wet epoxy.

I'll have to keep my eye on this for a little while to see if any bubbles pop up.

Standby.....

No comments:

Post a Comment