Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Is all the hype true?

You betcha! First experience with the Flexicat sanding tools today. Oh boy do these things work great! They do live up to their reputation. I'm amazed at how well they work. They take some getting used to and a lot of muscle to move them but they remove material like there's no tomorrow! What once seemed like an insurmountable task is now within reach. It'll take some getting used to and will need to build up some stamina but I'll whip this puppy into shape! It might take me a month but I'll get it done!


I was using the Dura-Blocks with 80 grit paper and they took a fair amount of muscle to get them moving as well but nothing like the Flexicat's. Once you get them moving though you can really lean into them to get the material off quickly. I'm sure there's some real technique to using them which I haven't discovered yet but I'm more than happy with the results I got today.


The 22 x 4-1/2" sander is very nice to use. It's not too big nor too small. I originally ordered a 33" version and will likely still get it when it's available but this little monster can really cut down the fairing compound quite efficiently.

The longer of the two is a 33" as well but only 2-3/4" wide. I found it just a little unwieldy and wanting to tip over the more I leaned into it. It worked just as well as the smaller version at removing the fairing compound. The benefit of the longer tool is a much fairer profile. In fact the longer the better. I think they make a two man (person) 77" model.


I'll still have a need and use for the Durablock blocking pads. There's plenty of smaller areas to sand and areas that'll need shaping from the various profiles available. They'll get a lot more use yet!

That's about it for today. More sanding tomorrow. Likely no vids though. I think I owe you a rest from all the exciting sanding videos I've done lately!  :-)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment