Friday, June 14, 2013

I've got RIPPLES!

I've got RIPPLES!


Zoom in (real dimensions: 799 x 597)

These showed up after I removed the peelply from the port side we did on Saturday. I've sanded the tops off of them, do I need to go deeper and totally get rid of them? I'm afraid of going too far and sanding away good fiberglass. It looks like the glass is deep and right against the ply from what I can tell. I did aft end on Sunday and when I removed that peelply there was no sign of any ripples. The main difference, other than Jim not being there is the temperature (abt. 5 degs warmer (low 70's)) and no rain so the shed was dryer. The only other thing I can think of is I didn't squeegee enough.

You can see them again on the right hand side of this pic.


Zoom in (real dimensions: 799 x 597)
I started going down the port side with the sander about 10:00 this morning. Didn't quit till 16:30. My hands were throbbing like crazy.


Nobody's going to do this for me so I had to stick to it. Mostly I was sanding the ripples and feathering the fabric edge along the bottom. Seeing as I ended up having to sand the whole freakin' hull anyways I think I'll forgo the peelply next time.

I got another question. My six inch air RO is my workhorse. I do have a 7" Simoniz variable speed car polisher. I've seen backing pads that'll fit the polisher to make it into a sander. It wouldn't be an RO but a 7 or 8" disc would help speed things along wouldn't it? I don't know if it's worthwhile. The polisher would likely be junk by the time I'm done using it as a sander.




Zoom in (real dimensions: 799 x 597)

Hey! Guess what? More sanding tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment