Monday, June 10, 2013

Getting caught up a bit

Got a little behind with my posts. Sorry. Saturday my buddy Jim came over to help out with the epoxy work on the stbd side. Jim's a great guy. He built himself a huge Bruce Roberts in steel about 20 years ago. Tide Rider!

Being an ex-school teacher he was fascinated with the entire fiberglass/epoxy process. He'd used a little on Tide Rider but this was on a scale he'd never seen before. I spent quite a bit of time explaining all the ins and outs of the process and he just went to it. About all I could was stand back and watch! :-)

Between tobacco offerings to the Great Peacemaker and lunch etc. we only managed to get about 2/3 rds of the way through the side panel. I laid on the peel ply and let it be. I'd pick it up the next day.

I had some great tips from some very experienced fiberglass guru's on the Interwebs and used their advice. The results are better for this side than the one I did myself. I'll still have a few very minor bubbles to fix and some sanding but I think it's going to be ok.

The whole week I've been having trouble with my hands. Tingling and numbness in my hands when I'm using the sander and when I was rolling out the epoxy. It got so bad it woke me up in the night a few times. Bit the bullet and saw the Quacker today. Sure 'nuff I've got carpal tunnel syndrome. This was confirmed with an electrical test. :-(  I don't know how I'm going to deal with this with the amount of sanding etc. I have left on the boat. I'll get some splints for my wrists but I don't know if I'll be able to work much with them on. If it's not one thing it's another. Dammit!


1 comment:

  1. Check out sanders made by Hutchins... smoothest, least vibrating DA sander I've ever used.

    ReplyDelete