Sunday, March 4, 2012

It's been awhile

since I bought anything for the boat project. The winter months slow down the buying naturally I guess but today I sprung for something I've had my eyes on for awhile.


For those of you that haven't seen one of these before it's a simple pump to empty your engines crank case. Now on a boat that can be a bit of a challenge (and messy) especially when you have to stand on your head in the bilge. Combined with the fact I'm not my old svelte 170 lbs anymore changing oil is a real pain in the arse.

This particular model I picked up on e-Bay for about half retail. I like that. Not that I'm cheap I'm just efficient when it comes to buying boat equipment! :-) This model also reverses for filling the crank case. No muss and no fuss. I'm going to have to plan space for a removable waste oil canister now! :-) I think the Yanmar takes 8 litres so a 25 litre gas can would do three changes.

One other thing I picked up this week was a Raptor Nails (TM) stapler and staples. I've heard a lot about Raptor Nails over the years and decided to give them a try for myself. What are Raptor Nails you ask? Well they're plastic staples. They can be used with fiberglass & epoxy and don't have to be pulled after the epoxy cures. I think this will come in very handy when laying up the outer layers of glass for the hull.


The project spreadsheet and photo inventory have been updated.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/knottybuoyz/Spent_To_Date

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/KnottyBuoyz/KBIII/Inventory/?start=all

Later folks......

2 comments:

  1. Are you planing on having a new oil tank so all you have to do to add oil is hit the switch ?

    I have a 25 gallon tank on my boat and it sure beats bottles.

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know Bill. Space will definitely be an issue. If I can figure a spot to build one in I will.

    ReplyDelete