Sunday, September 25, 2011

It's been slow....

but I'm getting back into the boat building frame of mind. Lori and I have started to glue the bottom & side panels together. Yesterday's episode involved mixing up a big batch of epoxy & pecan flour for the glue. We mixed waaaaaaaaaaay too much! ;-) The remnants make for some funky epoxy art! ;-) (about $10 worth of materials *sigh*)


We couldn't get it on the boat quick enough before it kicked off. I could feel it getting really hot in my hand. Next time it'll be smaller batches. We learn as we go.

Today we hung the transom.


This afternoon will involve more glue to get these panels all locked into place. Standby....

2 comments:

  1. When I did GRP stuff if we mixed up a big batch we would reduce the catalyst as it seems to self accelerate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kev

    I think epoxies react a little differently than polyester or vinylester resins. The mix is 2:1 resin to hardener and if you don't get enough hardener in it won't cure. I've spent some time removing uncured epoxy and it's not fun. Smaller batches see to be working for us so we'll stick with that for now. We're pretty much done the big gluing project for now till we flip it over. Thnx for kickin' in though I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete